Frequently Asked Questions

We hope the FAQs have answered your Questions. When you’re ready, complete the form to start your claim.

Home » Can I claim as an adult if one’s been made when I was a child?

Can I make a claim as an adult if one has already been made when I was a child?

If a claim was made on your behalf when you were still a child, you may not make a second claim for the same incident when you become an adult. The CICA scheme will not allow you to make a claim for the same incident twice.  However, under some circumstances it may be possible to have a claim re-opened.

For such cases we need to establish the basis of the medical evidence the original decision was made. For instance it may have been for the physical assault / abuse, but over the years the child now turned adult suffers repressed psychological symptoms which could not have been anticipated when the original award was made.

If a psychological report can be obtained that confirms the symptoms have occurred as a result of the original incident, and the symptoms are sufficiently serious to warrant additional compensation. It may be possible to reopen a CICA case where an award was originally made as a child.

Our experienced team of advisers are happy to discuss your case on an informal no obligation basis. If we believe there is sufficient information to submit a further claim we will advise you and act for you on a no win no fee basis.

Find out more

Contact us for no obligation advice about your case

Each situation is unique but with our experience we can help you get the help you need and offer advice on making a claim for compensation.

Calculate how much compensation you could claim using our online calculator which uses the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority’s tariff.

Contact Us

Please send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search